Windows 11is finally getting Android apps via the Amazon Appstore, as part of the latest update to the operating system.
- Microsoft had previously announced Android app support in Windows 11, but the feature was restricted to users running beta builds of the OS.
- Users will have to install the Amazon Appstore via the Microsoft Store, before installing Android apps on their Windows 11 computers.
- Here’s how to download and install Android apps on Windows 11.
Windows 11 is finally getting the highly anticipated Android apps to support, thanks to a major new feature update rollout from Microsoft. The new update lets Windows 11 users install Android apps directly from the Amazon Appstore on their computers, without any tinkering.
Android app support was one of the major announcements at the Windows 11 launch, apart from a refreshed design and other security improvements.
It is worth pointing out that you will have to sign in with your Amazon account once the Amazon Appstore is installed on your Windows 11 computer.
Apart from this, since the Appstore preview is only available in the US at the moment, you will have to change your computer’s region and language settings to US, and US English. It’s a minor setting change, though.
To download and install Android apps on your Windows 11 computer, follow these steps:
- Ensure that the region and language are set to the US, and US English, respectively. If it’s different, go to the Time & Language settings and make the changes.
- Now, open the Microsoft Store and click on the Amazon App Store Preview banner.
- Click on any app in the list, and then click on the ‘Get from Amazon Appstore’ button.
- This will begin a process to install the Amazon Appstore on your Windows 11 computer. Follow the on-screen steps to complete it.
- Now, open the Amazon Appstore and install apps and games as you normally would.
Apart from Android app support, the February 2022 Windows 11 update brings a few other changes as well:
- Weather information on the taskbar.
- Updated Notepad and Media player apps with refreshed designs.
- Date and time on additional monitors.
- Mute / unmute mic via the taskbar in a Microsoft Teams call.
The update is rolling out to all users now via the built-in Windows Update option in the Settings app.
Windows 11 can be installed on unsupported computers but there’s a big security risk
Windows 11 is getting Android apps – you will soon be able to natively run PUBG Mobile and other popular Android apps and games
Windows 11 Microsoft rolling out updated snipping tool, calculator and mail apps